American Security Today’s ‘ASTORS’ Homeland Security Awards program is in its Fifth Year and continues to recognize the Outstanding Innovations of top firms and agencies in the Homeland Security and Public Safety fields.
2020 has been a very challenging year for everyone due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the much heralded AST ‘ASTORS’ Awards Winners Presentations and exclusive Luncheon at the Jacob Javits Center in NYC has been canceled and rescheduled for 2021 due to the virus.
However, the 2020 ‘ASTORS’ Homeland Security Awards Program was again a huge success and many new categories were added including a section for COVID-19 Detection and Innovation.
Best CBRNE Detection System
· SEEKERe is a hand-held detector using colorimetric technology, designed to be rugged and portable, to test for drug and explosives in the field, and also allow for trace and bulk detection.
· This innovative Inorganic Nitrate card detects ultra-low trace amounts of Black Powder explosive material, the most common and easiest to produce homemade explosive material, and also rapidly identifies Ammonium Nitrate, another major explosive precursor that law enforcement agencies globally need the capability to identify in ultra-low trace amounts, as well as Urea Nitrate and more.
· Its automated detection technology evolves globally recognized colorimetric technology which delivers reliable, legally-recognized and repeatable results better than any other trace detection products on the market.
· The SEEKERe is used daily by law enforcement and military agencies, bomb squads and hazardous material teams for explosive and drug detection at airports, border crossings, ports of entry, sporting and event arenas and more across the United States, and is actively purchased and used by every branch of the Department of Defense and all applicable Department of Homeland Security agencies.
· DetectaChem was also recognized in the 2019, 2018 and 2017 ‘ASTORS’ Homeland Security Awards Programs.
Best COVID-19 Detection Innovation (Tie)
· Earlier this year as the coronavirus pandemic gripped the United States, DetectaChem, a global leader in innovative portable threat detection technologies developed a smartphone-based MobileDetect Bio (MD-Bio) BCC19 COVID-19 test kit which received FDA (Food and Drug Administration) EUA (Emergency Use Authorization) and was being utilized across the nation.
· The BCC19 test kit utilizes portable laboratory-grade molecular diagnostic technology that detects nucleic acids from the 2019-nCoV virus to determine positive or negative results and then utilizes the free MobileDetect App for Apple and Android platforms to generate result reports with time, date, images, patient info, GPS mapping and more.
· Test reports can then be immediately sent via email or text to healthcare providers, laboratories or any other desired recipient. The BCC19 test kit achieved 100% positive and negative detection accuracy during FDA testing with comparable results and limits of detection to RT-PCR laboratory equipment.
· As many testing sites can take 24 hours or much longer to produce test results, asymptomatic positive patients waiting for results can unknowingly infect countless others, however with the BCC19 test kit’s 30-minute cycle and diagnostic-level results for asymptomatic and symptomatic patients, the window for spreading COVID-19 is drastically reduced from hours or days-to minutes resulting in greater safety for organizations and their communities at large.
The company’s solutions are used by extensively by the U.S. Department of Defense, U.S. Department of Homeland Security and thousands of law enforcement and first responder agencies around the world.